Onkyo is not a new name in the industry, and it is renowned for producing some of the best budget receivers out there. Its range of AV receivers is pretty impressive, and they make receivers for nearly every listening environment.
The Onkyo TX-NR7100 is a high-performance home theater receiver with incredible functionality to deliver high-quality sound. Behind its contemporary and intuitive design is a wealth of connectivity and simple controls, making it one of the best sounding receivers on the market.
One thing that you’ll like about the TX-NR7100 is its user-friendly design that allows you to plug in and control multiple devices simultaneously. In addition, it supports the latest features, including 8K compatibility and several streaming capabilities.
Still doubting if the Onkyo TX-NR7100 is worth it? Here is our insightful review!
Onkyo TX-NR7100 Specs
|Number of channels||9.2|
|Output power||100 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz)|
|Audio processing||Dolby Atmos/ DTS : X|
|Connectivity technologies||Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Sonos, Apple AirPlay 2|
|HDMI inputs||6 rear inputs, 1 front input|
Onkyo TX-NR7100 Review
The Onkyo TX-NR7100 is a low-profile 9.2 home theater receiver designed to let you enjoy lively surround sound with any speaker system. The receiver is equipped with a cool set of features and all sorts of new technologies that let you take advantage of your investment. In addition, it offers exceptional audio and video experience that every movie lover craves for.
More power for every need
The TX-NR7100 is an excellent performer that lets you manage up to nine channels simultaneously. The receiver offers an easy setup, and it is compatible with standard 7.2.2/ 5.1.4 surround sound speaker configuration. You can also take advantage of its two Dolby Atmos channels to drive a 5.1.4-channel for a fascinating and immersive surround sound experience.
In addition, this receiver delivers 100 watts per channel, providing enough sonic horsepower to drive even the most demanding surround sound setups.
Dirac Live setup
The Onkyo TX-NR7100 uses the Dirac Live room correction technology to improve sound quality than ever before. Ideally, this technology uses a smartphone app to calibrate and correct room anomalies depending on the layout/ characteristics of your living space. The result of this is enhanced musical staging and sound clarity while providing a deep bass response with minimal resonances.
The idea behind this design is to unlock the system’s full potential in any room layout and deliver a pure listening experience.
The Onkyo TX-NR7100 is certified as IMAX Enhanced so you can rest assured that it will deliver the best sound and picture quality as filmmakers and artists intended. The technology is geared towards brighter and clearer pictures while providing an elevated cinema theater viewing experience at the comfort of your living room. The best thing is that you can stream IMAX Enhanced content from major streaming sites to expand your entertainment experience.
Enhanced music streaming options
With the inbuilt Bluetooth and Apple AirPlay 2, you can use this receiver to not only watch movies but also to enjoy some great music. It lets you stream your favorite tune from numerous streaming services, including Spotify, Pandora, TIDAL, Amazon Music, TuneIn, Deezer, among others. The receiver also gives you the option of playing digital and high-resolution files over your existing Wi-Fi network or from a USB drive.
If you’re using Sonos speakers or have been looking to build a Sonos multi-room system, the Onkyo TX-NR7100 is a good budget receiver to get you started. All you need is to integrate a Sonos port and use the Sonos app to stream music and other audio content from any enabled device. The best part is that you can control the unit remotely and switch between various inputs automatically.
- Enhanced gaming technologies: The receiver offers great technologies for gamers to ensure a swift and smooth gaming experience. The technologies supported include Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Quick Frame Transport (QFT), and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM).
- THX Certified Select: The Onkyo TX-NR7100 bears the THX Select logo, which means it is designed to deliver the same volume level as that of commercial/concert halls. It also offers several THX modes for all your listening and movies needs.
- Voice control: The receiver is fully compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa, which helps you control the system hands-free.
- Virtual height channels: The inclusion of Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization channels let you set the right mood for your movie nights. The height channels allow you to remain more flexible when setting up your speakers while ensuring that the sound is distributed uniformly throughout the home.
- HDMI switching: Onkyo TX-NR7100 supports a total of seven HDMI inputs (6 on the rear panel and 1 on the front panel). The rear inputs support 4K/120Hz and 8K/60Hz video content, while the front input only supports 4K/120Hz video.
- Roon: Other than Sonos, the TX-NR7100 also features Roon, a multi-room software that helps you manage your music files for the best entertainment experience imaginable.
What we like
- Digital room correction technology for an improved soundstage
- Great user experience
- Excellent design and aesthetics
- It offers an inbuilt phono input to let you hook up a turntable
- A handheld remote control for user convenience
- It includes AM/FM tuner
- It supports the latest advances in surround sound entertainment
What we don’t like
- Additional costs for extra
- services such as Dirac Live and internet services
Onkyo TX-NR7100 is an excellent all-around receiver that offers outstanding sound quality for what it costs. The initial setup is pretty straightforward, but you’ll still need to learn how to configure various settings to fine-tune the final sound output. Nevertheless, it offers a perfect balance between music and movies, plus it is a good choice for a large audience.
The Dirac Live feature is probably the selling point of the TX-NR7100. This technology automatically examines and reduces the impact of room acoustics to provide the best sound quality. What’s more, it features a high-power design that delivers a stable and constant power from each channel to give the most realistic sound possible.